Winter Park Paint Out Emerging Artist Program
The Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens is pleased to offer an “Emerging Artist Program,” part of our 12th Annual Winter Park Paint Out celebration (April 19-25, 2019). This initiative is designed to assist emerging visual artists and students in Central Florida. In an effort to bring the genre of “plein air” to a young and diverse audience, we will identify a talented up-and-coming artist and mentor them in the study and practice of plein air through participation in the week-long painting festival.
The recipient will have the opportunity to build relationships with our 25 selected, professional plein air artists, shadow them in the field, and paint alongside our nationally-acclaimed artists for an entire week. This is a truly unique experience, which will educate the emerging artist on how to succeed as a commercial artist in this little-known, yet rewarding, avenue. The emerging artist will be encouraged to exhibit up to two of their original plein air works that they created during the week at our culminating event, the Garden Party Gala on Saturday, April 25, 2020. In addition, the emerging artist will be provided with a $200 stipend to purchase supplies as needed. This program is intended to further recipients’ artistic practice, encourage career sustainability, and best equip them to make their own artistic choices and forge a unique career path.
This is open to ALL emerging artists 18+ years of age, who are early in their artistic careers:
- Enrolled college students
- Working non-artist professionals
- Artists of other genres-notplein air
- We define an “emerging artist” for this program as a person who has NOT participated in a formal “Paint Out” event before and does NOT have a history of sales in plein air This would be ideal for a studio painter who has never experience this outdoor approach or an artist who does not derive their income solely from art sales or commissions.
- Artists of diversity, especially minorities candidates, will be given preference and are encouraged to apply!
- Must be available daily during the entire week-long event- Sunday, April 19 to Saturday, April 25, 2020, and is expected to participate in events along with our 25 selected artists.
- Emerging Artist must attend ALL the 2-hours long daily demos as part of their training and mentorship with our professional artists.
- The selected applicant must provide our Museum Curator with a written statement at the end of the event. This typed, short essay is due by Friday, May 3, 2020 and must summarize their experience, reflections and overall feedback. This statement will be used as testimonial for our grant application, as the Emerging Artist Program has been made possible by generous grant funding.
- Access to an elite opportunity—to participate in a Paint Out Festival, an event which reached over 29,000 visitors last year and has wide online and social media presence, and national marketing campaigns in both American Art Collectorand Plein Air Magazines.
- The distinction to represent a new generation of plein airartists and support positive change in the artistic community at large. We are an organization that values cultural equality and it is our hope that through this intuitive we may address lack of diversity in the homogeneous genre. This will be achieved through thoughtfully engaging emerging artists and prioritizing diversity of gender, age, background, socio-economic level, sexual orientation, ethnicity, and all levels of educational attainment.
- $200 Stipend
- Complimentary Museum Membership with reciprocal benefits to many botanical institutions throughout Florida, which will enable the artist to continue plein air painting opportunities.
- Exclusive one-on-one mentoring throughout the week with our 25 acclaimed/professional artists.
- Resume building and exhibition history as an exhibiting artist at the Polasek Museum for the Garden Party Gala on Saturday, April 27, 2019.
- Discover the fun and FREEDOM that are part of this exciting LIVE event. We know our Emerging Artist will be greatly impacted from the Paint Out experience!
If you would like to be considered for our Emerging Artist Program or would like to recommend a nominee for this year’s event, please contact Polasek Museum Curator, Emily Coughlan, firstname.lastname@example.org (407) 647-6294. We appreciate community input and educators’ feedback on selections. The candidate will be asked to submit his or her portfolio and any letters of recommendations for consideration.
Garden Party Tickets
Be sure to order your garden party tickets early!
Artists and Artwork
Browse 2020 WPPO artists and their artwork
See All of Our Events
Take a look at all of the week's events